Monday, March 29, 2010

Interactive Reading Books!

One thing almost all of my students have enjoyed is our interactive beginning reading books. These books have categories anywhere from letters uppercase and lowercase to emotions to actions to sequencing. Picture Icons are used to tell the story or to teach the concept at hand, while also teaching concepts of print. As the student turns the page, I have them choose the picture that matches the concept or the story sequence (either out of an array of 2 or out an array of 5 depending on skill level), and they match the picture onto each page to create the story. This has also be used to teach sound-symbol correltation with most of my students. It gives them something to do and something to complete for each page, which helps my students with Autism stay focused by having a beginning and an end for each concept or each page.

Interactive Reading Books by Greenhouse Publications! We have the following books in my classroom: How Many?, What Color is it?, I Go To School!, Things I do at Home, Action!, Sounds good to me!, The Ups and Downs of Opposites, How do I feel?, I have feelings, too!, What happened and why?, Who's First?, Meet the Word Family, What's it for?, What do you say?, What do you do?....they have been great teaching tools for a variety of levels. Some of them are similar to social stories, and each book can be used in more than one way depending on the student's level. The website has information regarding pricing!

I've made a lot of sentence stems for my students using boardmaker as well! I purchased a small laminater for my classroom and we are able to laminate them and use velcro with a variety of picture icons for them to create different sentences! I love Boardmaker!!

http://www.greenhousepub.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment